Monday, January 22, 2007

Bill's Bounty




Willem van Aelst (1627-1683) - Still Life with Fruit, c. 1660


"The sun, with all those plants revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do."

Galileo Galilei

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed."

Francis Bacon (Novum Organum)

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."

Bertrand Russell

"And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything."

William Shakespeare (As You Like It)

"What nature requires is obtainable, and within easy reach. It is for the superfluous that we sweat."

Seneca (Letters to Lucilius)