Monday, April 07, 2008

Energies And Enigmas Of The Visible




Francis Bacon (1909-1992) - Figure in Frame, 1950


'FRANCIS BACON: I always think of myself not so much as a painter but as medium for accident and chance.

DAVID SYLVESTER: Why do you say that?

FB: Because...I don't think I'm gifted. I think I'm just receptive.

DS: To some energy in the ether, so to speak?

FB: I think I'm energetic in myself and I think I'm very receptive to energy. By all this I hope you won't get the idea that I think I'm inspired. I just think I receive.'

From The Brutality of Fact: Interviews with Francis Bacon by David Sylvester


'In short, it is not movement that explains the levels of sensation, it is the levels of sensation that explain what remains of movement. And in fact, what interests Bacon is not exactly movement, although his painting makes movement very intense and violent. But in the end, it is a movement "in-place", a spasm, which reveals a completely different problem characteristic of Bacon: the action of invisible forces in the body (hence the bodily deformations, which are due to this more profound cause).'

From Francis Bacon: The Logic of Sensation by Gilles Deleuze